Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Discovery of Something Grand


Matt and I jumped in the car two Saturdays ago (I'm behind, I know) and drove and drove and drove, all the way to Western Massachusetts. We are both from the west and were looking for a little outdoor fun away from the city and boy did we ever find it.


First stop was at a pizza place for lunch. We couldn't believe every table had their own personal TV. I've never seen anything like this before and it just had to be documented.

Next we stopped at this little cemetery by the side of the road because I LOVE cemeteries.


This one was particularly good and had so much character. I'm not sure if people had come through and vandalized or what but a lot of the headstones were broken and turned and really, really dirty. This one was probably my favorite as it had been put back together. I also love that his name was Ezra.


Next we drove to the summit of Mt. Greylock. It's the highest point in all of Massachusetts and would have shown a great view had it not been so cloudy. We were right up in the clouds so it was nothing but fog all the way around. Guess we'll just have to go back. :)

We drove through some pretty awesome little towns on our way to our next destination . . .


A natural marble dam.


At the same location there were these naturally made "Pot Holes" and a natural bridge. It was so beautiful. I couldn't believe all the cool colors.


On our way back to Boston we stopped in Shelburne Falls to see the Flower Bridge. We were starving at that point so we stopping in a little pub. The only seating they had was out on the patio, so we gladly took it.



We were enjoying the view when we looked over and there it was . . . the flower bridge!


It's a little walk way along the bridge with flowers on both sides. We didn't finish dinner early enough to walk through during daylight hours and my camera decided to stop working for a bit. These pictures just don't do it justice. It was unbelievably cute.

Some of the flowers were as big as my head!


Oh how I love exploring New England.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I love it, makes me miss Mass so much! I love driving in the Fall...maybe you should take a trip to Vermont for the fall foliage season!

Unknown said...

Sarah, You are still as beautiful and darling as ever! Glad you shared this with me! Miss you tons. So nice to hear you are so happy!

shellydinger said...

Amazing! You live in the most beautiful place - there seems to be an endless variety of things to do. I need to see that bridge in person!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the marble bridge and pot holes. What a fun way to spend a day, on a day trip.
Very cute pic. of you and Matt.
Love ya, Marmie

rachel garber said...

I still can't figure out what I'm doing in Phoenix . . . I'm such a green and foresty girl. Glad you take the trips for me so I can see it here and there.

ej said...

How much fun!!! I would totally put some of those pictures at the Marble Falls on my walls, how cool! What a fun outing.

Emily said...

Oh how I would love to explore New England. Maybe someday. Love the pictures. And your cute self!

Kathy Brant said...

Hi, I never seem to have enough time to read let alone leave comments.I'm sorry!Thank goodness for weekends. You are such an Amazing Blogger!I love seeing and reading all your wonderful experiences. Thank you for your time and effort in sharing them . Love you your aunt Kathy
Just breathtaking photos!!