FEAR
A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
There I was, sitting at my desk, typing away, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I see something crawling toward me. I turn my head just in time to see the BIGGEST Cockroach moving at an unbelievably fast pace, headed straight for me! In a complete panic, I jump up on top of my chair and start yelping like there's no tomorrow. "Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Help, A, a, a, a, HELP!"
My two co-workers come running out. I jump over my desk (it's true) explaining to them that a cockroach has just tried to attack me. They both act somewhat concerned when all of a sudden the thing comes darting out from under my desk and runs across the office floor. All three of us ran away screaming.
Being the only people in the office at this point (there were no boys around) we decide that we better take care of it ourselves. (I say we but I mean everyone but me. I ran straight for my camera. I figured I could do more help by documenting the incident than by shrieking every time the thing moved.)
Judy grabbed something heavy, Barbara opened the door just in case he ran that direction and I stood way back ready to run. As the cockroach came out from under the couch, Judy threw the box on top of him and jumped up on top of it . . . you know, just in case.
You are probably wondering what a man is doing in the picture. Let me explain.
After Judy jumped up on the box we stood there for a long while not knowing what to do. None of us wanted to move the box, I mean what if it wasn't dead under there. All of a sudden it hit me, "Let's call security!" We were all in agreement that Charlie our amazing doorman would come to our rescue. I picked up the phone and told him the situation. His reply, "I'll be right there." (I love that man)
Charlie was laughing and laughing and laughing. He couldn't believe Judy was stuck on top of the box while Barbara and I were huddled in the corner ready to run in case the thing was strong enough to knock Judy off the box and come after us. Ever so carefully, Charlie moved the box to reveal the dead monster underneath. It was HUGE! We all gasped. Charlie laughed.
When we asked Charlie how he knew it was our office that called (I forgot to say my name when I called him) he said with a huge smile on his face, "Oh I knew who it was." Not sure what he meant by that. :)
5 comments:
I've seen cockroaches crawling up a restaurant wall I worked at, mice at the State House and a rat (no lie) at MIT. Critters are everywhere!
Your day to day stories are so fun to read. I miss being a part of all the adventure that surrounds you. Although I'm glad I wasn't there for this one.
That was a very interesting incident and very apt reporting...I like to take photos of events and then do some amateur photo-jounrnalism abt it...
Cool blog you have there....I am from the other side of the world (Singapore) who chanced upon your blog...Its awesomwe! = )
Once upon a time there was a poor cockroach who decided to skitter across my classroom floor. Boys and girls got up on chairs and expected Miss to fix the problem. Immediately Miss took her smallish sized foot and stomped that sucker dead. To prove he was a goner, she took off her shoe and showed the class. After some "oooh" and "awww"-ing, they applauded her efforts. If you need me to do likewise for you, just call.
Cockroaches like that made their home in most of my apartments on my mission. Even though they dont bite they are still SICK.
-Justin
Post a Comment