Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Not So Good Day At The Dentist
(and my new found love for the suction tool)


I went to the dentist today for what I thought was a simple procedure (because that's what they told me) and ended up having a surprise surgery.  (Surprise!) The dentist explained that it was a very minor surgery and then felt the need to add, "You'll probably hate me . . . people always do but I can't complain, I should have thought of that before I chose this profession."

(WHAT! You don't tell someone that when you are about to place sharp objects in their mouth!) 

What could I do, if it had to be done then it had to be done right? So we began . . .

I figured if I just closed my eyes tight everything would be alright.  WRONG! Immediately I started to taste the blood and about had a complete come apart.  I turned white, felt dizzy and thought I might throw up (I don't even want to think about how horrible that would have been).  

As I sat there trying not to breath or move or swallow all I could think of was my friend who got so freaked out in the dental office that he had a panic attack and they had to call an ambulance (true story).  I could see myself in that same situation but was determined not to let it happen.  Just when I thought I couldn't hold my breath any longer, the dentist noticed his assistant's lack of suction tool use and got on her.  (Hallelujah!) The rest of the procedure went just fine and I made it out alive.  I have a new found love for the suction tool!  

After my somewhat traumatic experience with my surprise surgery and a $1,200 bill . . . I took some pain killers, had some ice cream got in a little face time with an ice pack and made a date with my two best friends, Sean Spencer and Guster Burton.  What a good end to a not so good day!  


5 comments:

Kaitlin said...

oh man sarah, that is no fun! believe me when i say i know what that kind of day feels like. Next time before a dentist starts working on your mouth ask them to pay special attention to the suction tool. ( i have to tell then to keep a special eye on my inability to swallow, other wise i drool all over myself :P ) well way to go making a really bad day into a as good as it could get in that situation day.

shellydinger said...

1. I think it's really cute that you match your bedding.
2. I LOVE Sean and Gus, and they always make me feel better too.
3. I hate dentists too . . .and I'm married to one.
So Sorry! Feel better soon.

Megan and Erik said...

What a sad post, are you doing okay now? How can they do that and trick you thats just crazy. I hope you get feeling better!

ej said...

Oh sarah, I am so sorry! A "surprise surgery"?! Can they even do that?! Ugh, I need to go have a root canal or two and this story will help me to put it off even more :) with my gag reflex right now there is no way I'd survive a dental trip...Please feel better soon!!!!

Sheila said...

You should all go to my dentist. He is not in my "network" for my insurance but I go to him anyway. Steady hand, good bedside manner and he numbs you up until you can't feel your face! Feel Better...and Ireland? So jealous!