Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winter Carnival in Quebec


We pulled up to the Canadian border, handed the officer our passports and told him that we were heading to Quebec. He looked at us like we were insane and said, "I'm going to tell you what I told your friends up there . . . Good Luck!" It was 12:00 AM and Quebec was another 3 hours away.

After a not so restful sleep, we bundled up for the 14 degree weather and headed out to see what Winter Carnival had to offer.

This is 13 of the 18 that went

There were ice castles . . .


. . . with ice slides . . .

. . . and snow tubing with rafts that could fit up to 15 people.


We stopped to try out the Putine (fries with cheese curds and gravy). It wasn't my favorite but people love it in Quebec.



We even tried the frozen maple syrup on a stick (I can't remember what the fancy name for it was). It was DELICIOUS!

There were plenty of exhausted kids being pulled behind sleds . . .


. . . and even dogs being pulled behind sleds.

The carnival fashion was the best! The little girl was my favorite. She looked like she belonged on another planet!


That night, after dinner we headed up to the toboggans. We sat 4 people to a toboggan and raced each other down going almost 50 mph!

Then we climbed to sit on the wall that overlooked the city. We had the best view of the night parade from up there. We didn't realize just how deep the snow was until we got to the top and sank in up to our thighs! It was was worth it though to be able to see one of the coolest parades ever.

We also had a great view of the ice castle all lit up.

We couldn't get enough of the human foosball. Imagine three adults strapped to a bar, having to work together to move, falling all over the place, trying to kick a soft white ball in the direction of their goal. It was fantastic!


The outdoor dance party was a riot! We decided to start a chain and dance our way through the crowd of people. Somehow I was elected to be the leader and let me tell you, it's a miracle I didn't come home with a black eye. I was running into people, shoving people and even managed to separate a couple. We died laughing when I stopped the chain and the 20 or more people who had jumped on didn't know what to do without their leader.

Quebec was such a beautiful place and the carnival was a total blast. I only touched the surface of all the amazing things we were able to do and see while we were there. If you ever get the chance you should absolutely go. Just remember to dress warm!


1 comments:

Sheila said...

Sarah! What a blast! I don't do well in the cold but that looks like soooo much fun!