I'm a foreigner?
Last night for FHE our ward had a Korean culture night. We all met at Spencer's home (he's from Korea) to have a lesson and to partake in some real Korean food and partying. I went, excited and ready for my Korean experience.
We had a lesson on different cultures and the benefit of being around so much diversity. One boy raised his hand to share his experience.
He began by saying that he was born and raised in Boston and that he served his mission in Idaho. I fully expected him to say something like, "So my first experience with another culture was when I traveled to . . ." To my surprise what came out of his mouth was nothing like that at all. Instead, he said, ". . . and let me tell you, Idaho is more foreign than France or Italy or anywhere like that." He went on to say that the people there were completely foreign as well!
WHAT?
The few people in the room that knew I was from Idaho kept looking at me and laughing. All I could do was laugh right along with them and shrug my shoulders. What do you say when someone says you're more foreign, and the place you come from is more foreign than somewhere where they don't even speak your language? Too funny!
5 comments:
Crazy story Sarah. You've always wanted to travel and be in a "foreign" place, and who knew that you grew up in the wierdest place of all. The best part was your picture choice. I loved that.
I'm wondering what part of Idaho he was at. Now that I work with people from all over the state, I could see just how he might say that about some areas. LOL, here I wanted to travel abroad and in some ways I guess I already have??
Wait, what?!
I always thought of Idahoans as foreigners as well. You know, mysterious and exotic. They are definitely different from the rest of us that's for sure!
What a crack up. That guy has either had his head stuck up in snobville or he has really been sheltered. then again there are probably foreign places in all 50 states. Love this country. Love Mamie
lol- that is really funny. He was probably stuck in Rupert.
Unless by foreigner he meant- exotic, beautiful, and wise beyond all reason, then yes, we Idahoan's are foreign ;)
Post a Comment