Okay, so there were a few things that I knew about New England homes before I came out here. I knew that the closets would be smaller than your average closet, I knew that there were stairs in pretty much every house, and I knew that the streets were extremely narrow. Even though I had been told this, I don't think I had the right picture in my mind of exactly what it would be like. So when it came to moving to my new place...I wasn't quite as prepared as I thought I was.
It all started with a trip to Ikea. Kristin and I packed up Cora and Alice (a sweet girl that Kristin watches) and set out to find me a dresser. After searching the store for a little while, having lunch, and contemplating whether or not the box the dresser came in would fit in the back of her car, we left successfully with dresser in hand, or car rather.
We then had to track down someone who had a truck so that we could move the queen size bed from Kristin and Kenley's to my new place (which is only 1 1/2 miles) . Now, in the West where everyone has a truck or knows at least 1o people who have a truck they could borrow, this would be an easy task to accomplish. However, in the East it is very different. The streets are so narrow that it makes it difficult to have a truck out here. There seriously was only one guy in all of the singles wards who had a truck and only one guy in the married ward who had a truck. It didn't work out to borrow either, so my friend Liz rented a zip car for me. Zip car is an amazing thing. I'll have to tell you all about some other time. ("WHAT!!! I have to walk up these stairs everyday!!!")
Now, back to the stairs...they are really narrow and they curve in most houses which made getting a queen size mattress and box spring up them extremely difficult. We seriously barely made it. We were scrapping stuff off the ceiling and I think we put a hole in the corner of the box spring. I am scared for the day when we have to move this bed back out. I ended up huffing and puffing up those stupid stairs about 50 + times that day, moving boxes and luggage. I don't think I've ever hated stairs so much as I did that day.
(This is the very top looking down)
(There, all the way down is the bottom)
Kenley, Kristin and Cora came over later to help me build my dresser. It went together really fast and I have to say, I really love it. I can not even tell you what a huge help Kristin and Kenley have been. I really don't know what I would have done without them.
(Putting together the drawers)
(Cora and I felt the same about those stairs)
We finished up the weekend with a little Jane Austin on PBS (Sense and Sensibility) and a big batch of Onion rings! Yum!!! It was one crazy weekend of moving and running from place to place but it's over and I'm all moved in.
6 comments:
The lack of trucks is amazing huh? And yeah, the stairs in my house are the bane of my existence too. Wait till you fall on them the first time (hopefully you never will) then you will hate them more...my bum hurts just thinking about it...It looks like a cute place though...and yummy onion rings, did you make them yourselves??
Glad to see you are moved in...on the bright you don't have to join a gym to get your cardio in everyday!
Yay for real city living! Stairs are my enemy, especially uncarpeted ones. I'm glad you got your bed in there - may it be a long time before you have to move anywhere else!
Glad to help out.
What you can't tell unless you enlarge the onion ring picture, is that I am warming them with my superman red eye layzur beemz.
Ha,ha,ha! Sorry Kenley, I should have fixed that before I attached it. Oops!
HEY sarah! i am pretty sure i am glad you have a blog that you update often because if i ever wonder how you are doing i can just check it out...i recently made a commitment to start updating mine once a week. mine is Strasser38.blogspot.com
Post a Comment