Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Food, Glorious Food!"

I'm not sure why but lately I only think to pull out the camera when I'm eating or making food. I hope it's just a phase . . . for your sake.


First up, I bopped to the tunes from the old jukebox, scarfed down a smokehouse burger and shared a shake with the cutest boy in town.


We discovered a Johnny Rockets at the Burlington mall and had a blast from the past kind of date. So Fun!

Next up, a nice dinner at home.

Often on a Sunday night you can hear laughter coming from our kitchen as friends drop by for dinner. Chen Ying is an excellent cook and usually serves up some amazing food. She's opened my eyes to all kinds of Asian food, so this past Sunday I decided it was time to introduce her to one of my favorites, Goulash.


I was please when she announced that she actually liked it even though the noodles were a lot bigger than I would normally use. The biscuits were a big hit as well. Thank you America's Test Kitchen! Seriously, I love their family baking book and cook book and not just because Matty works there and designed them. :)



Also in recent food news, I GOT A KITCHEN AID!!!
I was absolutely thrilled when it came in the mail and I couldn't wait to try it out.


A few of the wards out here decided to have a big bake sale for Haiti, which proved to be the perfect opportunity.


It worked wonderfully and was a big help as I put together one of my favorite recipes, S'more bars. Seriously, you should make these bad boys. Their delicious! (click on the word S'more for the recipe)



The bake sale was a success and everyone (who got one) loved my s'more bars. I know I didn't invent the recipe but it made me feel so good to have people say how much they loved them. Over all, the bake sale brought in $1,801.52 to donate which makes me so happy!


Last but not least, I have done something I've always wanted to do. Don't laugh, it's kind of dumb (okay, you can laugh . . . it really is kind of dumb).


I learned how to cut a pineapple!
I've always wanted to cut one even though I haven't always liked eating them. In fact it wasn't until just last year that I realized I actually do like pineapple. It's crazy how your taste buds change as you get older.


Anyway, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and now I have plenty of pineapple to last me a good while. You better believe I'll be buying pineapple a lot more often now that I'm not afraid of them anymore.

8 comments:

ellen said...

Johnny Rockets rocks! Where was the bake sale? Wow -- $1,800! That's great. I might have to try those S'mores bars. Don't you love your kitchen aid? I've got a RED one (of course) and I love it. And, just last week I taught some friends how to cut a pineapple.

My random thoughts...

Kristin said...

So, fun! I love my Kitchen Aid and dream of buying all the other accesories. I love your headband too....so cute!

Emily said...

Love your HAIR. I'm feeling impressed to do the same thing to mine. And dye it back to red!! You look great Sarah! And nicely done with all the cooking/baking.

rachel garber said...

Domestic dork.

Sven & Trin said...

Please, PLEASE share your s'mores bars recipe. My mouth watered looking at your pictures. I too have a red Kitchen Aid, seriously the best appliance ever.

ej said...

I heart my Kitchenaid :) Smores recipe please! I like posts about food, especially after having canned soup for dinner...
Your headband is adorable.

Mandy said...

I SOOO want a Kitchen Aid! I think I'm going to have to print the picture of you looking extra happy next to your Kitchen Aid and show mom. I'm going to keep dreaming!

Anonymous said...

You look cute-cute-cute. So glad you love your kitchenaid. I am with Ellen on the color though. Never heard of Johnny Rockets. Sounds like fun. Marmie