Why Chen Ying is the best
Chen Ying is my good friend from Malaysia and she is the best for so many reasons. Let me just outline a few from this past weekend.

#1) She invites me to do fun things!
Like this cool German party! Her and I were the only ones there that didn't speak the language fluently. I took a few years of German in high school and college so I could follow most of the conversation but couldn't speak it at all. It was fun to play interpretor for Chen Ying all night. Especially when I got the stories wrong and they didn't make sense any more.

#2. She lets me borrow her clothes
On Saturday Chen and I went shopping at the outlets and got so caught up in the great deals we were finding that we didn't leave enough time for me to go home and change my clothes in order to make it to the adult session of Stake Conference. I had pretty much decided that I just wouldn't go, but Chen Ying was sure she had something that I could fit into. I was extremely doubtful seeing how Chen is so much shorter than I am. I died laughing when I came out of the bathroom and she said, "Oh, is that how it's suppose to look?"
Only one problem. . . I didn't fit in her shoes and these were all I had!
#3. She encourages me to try new things
This is a Mooncake. . .
It came all the way from China!
There are many stories that go along with mooncakes. The most common one says that the Chinese people use to put small messages in the cakes in order to communicate with each other without the government knowing. Now, they place an egg yoke in the middle to represent the messages that they use to send.
After eating a few bites, I was #1. a little shocked that it wasn't anything at all like a cake and #2. curious what it would taste like when I got to the egg yoke. I didn't particularly like the bit that I had eaten and would have been fine to stop there, but upon hearing Chen Ying talk about how unadventurous Americans are in their food tasting, I was bound and determined to get to that yoke. Besides, it couldn't be that bad. . . right?
Here I go, being adventurous, trying something new.
Okay. . . I don't know about this. . . It's a little weird tasting. . . has a funny texture. . .
. . . chew Sarah, chew. . . just get it down and everything will be okay. . .
. . . Oh No. . . abort, abort! It's not worth it. . .
(I just noticed, Chen Ying is not in any of these pictures. What's up with that!)
2 comments:
Ha ha! I remember my first moon cake... Yeah. Don't know how that tradition got started. I have yet to meet a Chinese person who actually LIKES mooncake... ;-)
Here is the good news about moon cakes: they don't all have yokes on the inside! Yay! The ones Nathan's Taiwan partners sent home for me were a flaky pastry type with more of a sweet filling. Apparently there is one with what my friend calls "hairy meat" in it and I am so steering clear! Way to be brave!!! Sounds like you have made a great friend.
Post a Comment