Adventures in Public Transportation
Now, I just want you all to take a good look at the pictures that I have posted. This is NOT I repeat NOT what the Train "T" looks like when I am normally on it. I just happened to get on the T one night when I was headed to FHE and it was so empty that I felt like I could take some pictures without upsetting anyone or feeling stupid.
I noticed that there were quite a few people standing but I spotted an open seat. SCORE!!! I worked my way back and sat down. I was sitting there, enjoying my strawberry pop tart when all of a sudden the guy next to me started to mumble something. I thought that maybe he was on the phone or something and didn't pay much attention until I heard him say, "Yum...Joy...yum..J is for Joy." I wasn't sure what he was talking about and was too afraid to turn my head and look at him for fear that his appearance would make the whole situation a whole lot scarier for me. So I just sat there in silence trying to finish my breakfast as fast as possible. He went right on with the same"J is for Joy.....J...J...J...J is for Justin." Then he would add in something different every once in a while like," I'm from...Lexington...Joy...J...J...J." What could I do but just sit and enJOY the ride, right? So, that's what I did and he mumbled the whole way getting loud and then soft and then loud again.
The bus stopped at the T station. I jumped off, ran (okay, walked quickly) down 7 flights of stairs and walked up just in time to see my train getting ready to close the doors. I ran as fast as I could and jumped on the train just as the doors were closing. Then I realized that I would be in for one of the most uncomfortable rides ever. I was squished between the door and like 3 other people. The train would jerk around and I had nothing to hold on to, so I rocked back and forth and felt like a total surfer riding one huge wave. People filed on and off the train and I had to keep getting out and then back in in order to let them off.
Also, it was so awkward because I had nothing to look at. If I looked out the window of the train I would get sick, If I looked to the right I was staring right at a girl, If I looked left I was staring at a guys chest, If I looked up I looked like an idiot, and if I looked down I was looking into a guys paper. So, I just pretended to be asleep.
So, taking the public transportation today proved to be a very educational experience. I learned that J is for Joy and Justin, I learned what it would feel like to be a surfer girl on the massive waves in Hawaii, and I learned how to pretend to be asleep.
This video is from last week. It was so funny because I got off and there are 2 escalators that go up these 7 flights of stairs. Well, one of them wasn't working. So all of these people were waiting at the bottom to get on the one escalator that was working. After I turned the camera off the other escalator broke and I don't think I have ever heard so many swear words in one place in all my life. I died laughing as I huffed and puffed my way up the stairs.
6 comments:
The 'Metro' here, I was so turned off by public transportation but I had no idea how clean ours were until Nathan and I went to NY last year- we are talking about night and day. I know what you mean about the awkwardness of being all in each others personal space and you are with complete strangers. The 'I swear I'm sleeping' plan sounds good to me. Lots of people wear iPods to ignore people- have you tried that??
That's funny! I never used public transportation before though! I can't believe the escalator broke right after you turned your camera off!
Hey Joy! Do you carry mace?
I think I've ridden the bus with that guy. Welcome to Boston!!!
iPod all the way! My life has soundtrack that only I can hear.
The DC Metro has to be the cleanest, nicest subway system that I have ever used! You should come to Boston and jump on the Green Line that was built before the Titanic sank! Now that is an experience.
I love this town!
I've enjoyed catching up a reading about your adventures back east. You are so adventurous I love it! When I saw these pictures of the subway I immediately thought of the movie The Brave One (don't watch it... it was scary and creepy). Stay safe!
Post a Comment