Friday, January 18, 2008

Chinchilla...ever heard of one?



So, the other night Kaitlin and I ran to the Karcher mall to check out the new Steve and Barry's store. We were completely disappointed...everything was pretty well picked over considering nothing was over $8.00 and on top of that we could only fit into extra larges! Since when did we become extra large? Anyway, so on our way out we decided to stop in the pet store to look at all the cute animals. However, Cute is not what we found!!!


As we made our way to the back of the store Kaitlin kept talking about something called a Chinchilla and how she wanted to go look at it. When we reached it's cage I knelt down to have a better look at the gigantic rodent that was in the cage. At first I thought it was cute all snuggled up in the corner with its eyes closed. This cute little bunny thing...I just wanted it to wake up so I could see it better. So, what did we do? Exactly what you're not suppose to do...we started tapping on the glass. It took a while but finally the 'Chilla opened it's eyes and let me tell you...That was the scariest bunny I have ever seen!


It put it's mouth on the glass and started kissing it (so says Kaitlin), or better yet showing us it's massive teeth and warning us to stay back or suffer the consequences. Then it hopped/ran from one side of the cage to the next with lightning speed! Kaitlin wanted to get someone so we could hold it and I wanted to run for my life!!! It was an awkward looking rodent that could snap and bite at any moment. I mean this thing may have looked cute at first but that's what made it all the more scary! It could use it's charm to rope you in and then WHAM! You're rushing off to the hospital with a huge chinchilla bite praying that you don't have rabies! I mean it took me almost a month to hold a rat that I had to train in college there was no way I was going to hold something that was even bigger than a rat but had the same "rat like" qualities!


It amazes me that when I was little I really wanted a rat...what the heck happened between then and now that made me hate them and all creatures like them so much?

2 comments:

rachel garber said...

Those are ugly beasts. What's a Steve and Barry's store?

ej said...

Come on now- part of the reason you weren't sold is that you didn't get to feel it's fur. They have the most hair per square inch than any mamal- so super super soft fur. Scary teeth? probably, I didn't know Chinchilla's could 'kiss' so I am gonna go with you on that one!